Ubetcha Ad Banner

Please visit our sponsors :
Support my blog please, click here

Wednesday 7 November 2018

Skype is dead..

Long story short.. Since Micro$hite have purchased Skype they have really managed to screw it up. Hateful new front end, inability to show which of your contacts are actually online (something old Skype never had a problem doing) suddenly your microphone stops working, etc. etc.



I've been looking for a simple alternative. Talky is my new favored friend (mean of voice, video and screen-sharing communication) Simple to run, basically it's a tab on your web browser so no need to run any other communication program. Which means your saving system memory to boot.



Up to 15 people can communicate in any one Talky room at the one time, so it's probably better than Skype however you'll have to change the way you operate to use Talky.

When you use Skype, your loading a program into memory and should be able to see which of your contact have also loaded Skype up and then you can call them. Well that doesn't really occur when your using Talky your either in a room waiting for others but you don't have the ability to beckon them. Well actually you do via other mean, Whatsapp, Viber, Text Msg etc. etc. Also file sharing isn't as easy as it used to be, i.e. you can't drag and drop files into Talky, so email comes back into the equation. If you can get your head around that then your fine.

Screen sharing via Talky as a pre-requisite, you must install their official extension which can be found here, then F5 to refresh your browser.



If you want to contact me, message me on here on my blog in the comments below. If I know you, I'll reply back with my room ID. Thanks for reading. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. The 'Official' Talky Chrome Extension has seemingly been removed from the Chrome Extension store??

    I Dunno, don't ask me! however I did export it from my own Google Chrome and upload it here should you want to manually install it.

    https://www.mediafire.com/file/lf2olnbbl5sdsjt/TalkyScreenSharingChromeExtension.rar/file

    Manual installation of Chrome extensions goes a little like this:

    (1) Go to URL chrome://version/ and note down your Profile Path (where your stuff lives on your hard drive)
    (2) Open this location using Windows File Explorer, then double click on the subdirectory called 'Extensions' (this is where all of your Chrome extensions live)
    (3) Download the Talky screen sharing extension that I myself uploaded and unpack/expand it (it's compressed with WinRAR)
    (4) Copy it into your extensions directory.
    (5) Close / Restart Chrome (that's it)

    Hope this helps you out? Let me know if it does, thanks

    ReplyDelete